Saturday, June 11, 2011

We Like it Oriental


As a general rule, when I'm in the kitchen (as I am at this moment), everything turns out Italian or chocolate...because when I cook, I make what I'd like to eat. However, when my mom and I are in the kitchen together, the special stuff comes out. Ya know, like the seasonings whose labels are all in foreign languages? Yeah, those...we use a lot of 'em. So today, we're making Lemon Chicken (Sarah's Secrets) with Soy Sauce & Sesame Seed Roasted Broccoli (Kalyn's Kitchen). This post could potentially be a bit more poetic and thought-out, but it just so happens that I'm writing this while Mom's at the stove, getting attacked by the oil-spitting chicken. So if I seem a bit distracted, I beg your pardon. Anyways, my life is pretty much at a five-star level right now, but the particulars of that are relatively [not] extraordinary so we'll stick to the recipes.





First, the Chicken:

Here's what you'll need:
1-2 lbs. Boneless & Skinless Chicken Breast, thinly sliced
1/2 cup Fresh-squeezed Lemon Juice
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
Sea Salt & Fresh Black Pepper
2 large Eggs, beaten
1 & 1/4 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
1/4 cup Sesame Seeds
(we didn't use these...it seemed redundant with them on the broccoli as well)
5 tablespoons Vegetable Oil

Here's what you do:
1. Combine the lemon juice & soy sauce in a large bowl, add the chicken, and let marinate for at least 15 minutes
2. Set up 3 bowls: one filled with flour, salt, & pepper, one with the eggs, and a third with the panko & sesame seeds
3. Coat each slice of chicken lightly with flour, dip it in the egg, & coat it well in the panko mixture.
4. Heat half the oil in a large skillet over high heat until hot; reduce heat to medium-low and add the chicken. Saute until cooked through and browned.

and then, the broccoli:
Here's what you'll need:
1 lb. fresh broccoli florets
1 1/2 T olive oil
1 T soy sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 T sesame seeds, toasted

Here's what you do:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees (this is important...it kinda doesn't help if the oven isn't on, as I just learned)
2. Place the broccoli in a large bowl, mix all the other ingredients, and pour over the broccoli
3. Arrange in a single layer over a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes; turn and roast another 5 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment